Returning Gorba products to our Service Center (EU customers only)

This innovation relates to customers of LSC, Swiss customers Gorba AG are not affected.

When returning a defective product you first need an RMA number.

To request an RMA (Return Material Authorization) number please use this link http ://www.ltg-service-

For questions about:
– All sales matters
– Customer service
– Configurations and ride locations,

your usual contact at the previous address and phone numbers remain happy to help.

Thanks for your cooperation !